- experience in at least one of our program areas
- a genuine interest in the values and mission of the foundation
- competent command of English (German is not a requirement)
- a full-time commitment of 40 hours per week for 3 to 6 months (part-time only on a case-by-case basis)
- at least 2 years of university-level experience
- currently enrolled in a Bachelor's or Master's degree program OR recent (< 1 year) Bachelor's degree recipients
Applications from mid-career professionals or applicants who have already completed a Master's or Ph.D. will not be accepted.
- provide logistical support for preparation and implementation of visitor programs and events
- manage front desk duties (i.e. answer telephones, respond to information inquiries)
- manage contact and program-specific databases
- develop social media content and communications strategies
- update content on our website and blogs
- conduct background research on topical issues and current events
- prepare research for upcoming events, tours, and speaker's series
In addition to routine tasks, interns are required to complete a capstone project on a topic of their choosing. Capstones can be one extensive piece or a combination of the following:
- 5-10 page policy paper (see an example paper here).
- interview with a policy expert (either article or video)
- script for a 2-3 min explanatory video
- series of short blog pieces or op-eds
- a monthly stipend of $700 for full-time positions and proportionally less for part-time
- 5 paid vacation days per 3 month period for full-time internships
- most of the costs associated with a visa application can be covered by the foundation
NOTE: Washington, DC is an expensive city. We encourage serious applicants to apply for external funding and scholarships if necessary.
Diversity and inclusion are among the top priorities of the Heinrich Böll Foundation. We welcome applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or a demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
In your application, please adhere to common US application standards. Do not include personally identifying information such as a photograph, date of birth, marital status, or gender in your application.
Please apply via BambooHR. Applications submitted elsewhere cannot be considered.